Harvey’s Latest Improvements (small)

Standard

Today:  I “built” two shelves in a previously unshelved cabinet, where we store kitchen towels, rags, food storage stuff, and beer.  The cabinet measures 36″ wide with two doors.  It is 28″ high inside and 9″ deep.  We don’t have anything that shape, so I tried to pile things in it, only to fail at using the space to its fullest potential.  The left picture is my “middle of the project” view, showing the blue bins that I tried to use to hold stuff int he cabinet.  I hung the top shelf before I remembered to take a “before” picture.  The right picture shows the cabinet now … I used beer bottles to determine the location of the top shelf and mason jars for the lower shelf.  (I bought the canning jars yesterday for some kitchen ideas, and they only sell them by the dozen.  I will get rid of the extras eventually.)  The top shelf will also hold two cans stacked on top of each other.  I can’t imagine we will drive around with that many beverages, but it is impressive how much I can now store easily!

Materials:  1x10x6′ (cut in half by Home Depot), 6 small shelf brackets (97 cents each), and wood screws
Tools: jig saw and dremel (to cut notches in two corners to fit around interior cabinet structure), level, power drill, and lots of contortion skills

   

Last week:  I pulled everything out of the master closet.  It is a very, very odd shape.  Previously, I had some stacking plastic shelves, which didn’t hold my clothes well, and we had everything else stuffed in laundry baskets just shoved in.  Time for a change.  I built 6 shelves in the middle, using “Neat Idea” wire shelving squares.  We use them for everything – actual shelves, as they are intended – and as bunny condos and fencing.  They aren’t a perfect solution since there is a really big gap behind them because the back wall curves outward.  But it is a good temporary solution.  My clothes are on the left, and Phil’s clothes are on the right.  He has barely enough room to hang his work clothes – maybe he has too many?

   

A month ago!  … New desk from Ikea – Zoe helped build it. Don’t have good before or after, but maybe the clutter in the background will disappear? Second picture is Biscuit teethmarks on the top surface. Unfortunately, he “found” the desk while it was still in the box, and he tested the fiber content.

   

One more upgrade:  Ikea LED strip lighting.

It isn’t perfect yet, but the lighting comes with a 12 volt connection, so Phil reworked it to connect to the RV fixture.  (We just bought a plain switch and intend to change out the unused fixture this week.)  The RV lighting was giving me a headache, and the new lighting is not.  So, this is good.  We have some round ones that we will add to the girls’ bunk beds next.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s